Sunday, August 16, 2009

A thing of beauty is ... well guess what?



Well, I came to Ziro on 31st July' 2009 and left on 2nd August' 2009. Very short stay indeed, considering Ziro is my home town. The beauty of greenery that surrounds Ziro during the summer and the way it gives way to golden carpet during the autumn with blue mountains in the yonder, is the most beautiful moment that I have experienced. Here, I am posting some of the pictures I took of somewhere, where a small patch of my rice fields lies, both during my latest visit and the visit to my beloved valley I made during October 2005, before I left for Afghanistan. It was a gala harvesting time.


1.

a) Prelude to story of beautiful Ziro - A view as you drive down Aaabliya Balya - A Panoramic view of Ziro valley as you enter main my heartland.



2.


b) As I go to my field, I have to pass through LEYU,(Leyu is a passage through the bamboo groves which one must take to leave village for any work .. including field work.) Here I take nenting leyu, which is a way to upper Hija village's fields and forests.



3.

c) As soon as I leave Leyu, this is the vista my eyes are blessed with.



4.

d) Another eye feasting vista as you view the Myoko( Open space beyond village area) beyond your village.



5.



As I look back, I see the Leyu, with crops of millets planted on the sides of Aaji Ager(bunds)




6.

Moving with steps that are confident of grounds beneath, of the paths that I grew up with, I find the lush green fields swaying with a blush of young heads of rice as the wind blows gently.



7.
Here, I turn to my right and find the fields swaying to the music of the winds playing with instruments nature provided in abundance in the open fields. What symphony can compete with nature's sweet music. huh!!!!



7.

I take a detour and take picture of my field from afar, where my father was laid to rest last year. A patch of raised land is called Nendu Nenchang - a public burial ground. My dad, rests not there, but where I stand and take these snaps. Small hut you see is Myole Piinyi, where the apatani priests perform rituals to propitiate the spirits. White bamboo structures are burial memorials.



8.

This is another picture - my eyes are never tired of such visual feast of greenery, freshness, beauty and tenderness that was all along.



9.



Here, I look back before I enter leyu. My body leaves you, my dear, but I leave my heart with you. Keep it green, fresh, clean and forever young.


**************************************************************************************

****************************************************************************

***********************


When you see something, and find it beautifull, you behold it. Nature takes its tolls, and you look again, and wonder, where is that which I beheld with such awe? How has it withered with time and age? Where do I find such beauty, such love, which neither time nor age will leave it untouched. And you wonder!!!!!!

Suddenly, a whiff of fresh memories, not fresh in a sense it is new, but fresh because of its essence, ... the memories of childhood, of neighbours and surroundnings that looks so unpalatable to the foreigners, whispers, here I am. And, you know you have found true beauty. It grows with age, and as the seasons change, it reveals its beaty in phases.

What is beauty? Is it skin deep? Is it limited to the pereiod when you are young and fresh? Where does the beauty fade away when the age catches up with it?

Haaa Haa haa.... ha ha ha. Like most people, I am usually confused between youth and beauty. That loveliness that we see usually are the youths in bloom, not the beauty in its true colour. True beauty is deeper and unfathomable. Like a good old wine, it becomes better with age. So is Ziro. You thought, green and beautiful Ziro will give way to old and withering autumn and winter? No way. These are some of the pictures I took during the harvest season in October'2005, before, I left for Afghanistan.


10.
As Ziro matures from spring to summer and to autumn, it turns golden in its look and its content. Whole of Ziro valley is carpeted with golden crops of ricewith a far away blue mountains as a back ground. This is the time when gangs of male and females( Patangs), as per their age, band together and have maximum fun and frolick harvesting the rice fields and getting drowned in its celebration. Those of you, who have never experienced abandoned gay and joy, come during the harvest time to Ziro and join one of the patangs to drink the last drop of joy that lifes gives us. I assure you, you would have squeezed out the nectar, the honey that life has never blessed anywhere else.

This is a view from Siilang Diiting of Siilang, Boppii, Tbyo and Piisa pu putu. I took this scenary while proceeding to my fields beyond those blue mountains with my wife and children.


11.



Just as I cross a small stream to enter my field, I see this view. The fenced field is others. Beyond that, in a far off hirizon where lies the blue mountains is our clan's naring morey and katu morey.( Morey refers to forest, here clan forest.) To the left is Aifu Puttu(AAifu Hillock) and to the right is Piisa Pu Puttu.


12.


This is another shot of fraction of my field and beyond as described above. It looks surreal. Doesnt it?

( The first picture at the top is of my son Dingyang performing pabung banni, which means carrying the threshed rice grains to a place called intii pere. Usually children are tasked with pabung banni while the young and grown up females reap the rice stalks and young and grown upmales thresh the rice. It is one of the most beautiful moments of any childhood who have grown up in a typical Apatani Village life.)

13.

Rest a while. Well, goldend carpets all around. Why would anyone go for red carpets anywhere else?
Well, I will be in my home town this harvest season. God willing. Anyoneone who wants to have fun and frolick in the very work work that gives us life are welcome to join me.

12 comments:

Bomken Basar said...

Very nice pics.. I am visiting Ziro next month...desperate to see my small family there:)

dani sulu said...

Thanks for the compliment. Welcome to Ziro. I assure you, golden carpets will be spread all around to welcome you if you happen to be in Ziro, during September-October Months.

taj said...

Amongst your memorable shots, the one you took from above Old Ziro State Guest House is the best. Well one can always get endearing pictures from there in all season. I too have one taken during the time of ripen paddy, its all golden. May be I'll share it.

Keep up!

dani sulu said...

Hi Taj. Looking forward to your pictures.
My pictures were taken with 1.3 Mega Pixel Mobile Camera. So nothing exceptionally clear.
Oh Yea, I havent taken any of these photo's from Old Ziro Guest House.Harvest time shots starts from Hija School bend looking deep into Hija Myoko(country side).
Give me the link to your album sharing site.

taj said...

I thought Pic No.7 & 8 was a view from Old Ziro Guest House. Well sorry and I've still uploaded mine yet. In time I shall inform you.

Cynthia said...

Ziro is gorgeous! The green is so
lush and the sky's blue is spiritual. I would love to walk
along the path you've shown us
with my bare feet. Thank you Dani
for sharing these pictures. You
have awakened me.

dani sulu said...

Thanks for such nice words Cynthia. You are always welcome to Ziro. Just let me know when you decide to put your desire into action.

workhard said...

What a beautiful place.. It looks so peaceful..im sureit is..

Web hosting india

Debanjan said...

Hi
It was great reading your article. I had been to Ziro two years back with my wife and had spent 3 days at Old Ziro Guest House. It was one of my best trips. We were cordially invited to (though I was a complete outsider) to a wedding and had rare insight into this wonderful tribes normal day to day life too. Extremely gracious behavior. I have some very beautiful and rare photographs of this trip.

However, sad part is that I had taken lots of notes on all that I had seen and heard - which - due to a freak got badly damaged and thus lost. And I have never been able to complete my write up.

Can you answer me some questions to fill up those gaps ? - mostly what is it called in apatani language - type of questions . If you can do so I can finish my article and post it for the world to see with my photographs.

Thanks
Deb

dani sulu said...

Hi Deb
Thanks for the visit. These are some bloggs were you will get good information about Ziro and Apatani language. Just go through the old posts and you will have good information about Ziro. If you need any other information feel free to ask.

http://speakapatani.blogspot.com/
http://friends-of-ziro.blogspot.com/
http://savetanii.blogspot.com/

tutho said...

So sorrry for you all, though born at gorgeous Ziro valley and spending 70% share of life outside the Ziro.

Anonymous said...

I love the beautiful landscape. I feel saddened by the children having the responsibility of work at such a young age, and the hardness of the work required in general. Much love. Jennifer