Friday, November 7, 2008

Conversing With Myself -IV

Musing of a parent


Children are bundle of joys. I tell myself when in one of the better moods watching my children laugh and play. Children are bunch of nuisance. I tell myself watching them play and laugh, when in one of that dreadful foul mood and am looking for excuse for that foul mood.
These are the momentary response at the spur of moment of a parent.
But children are children and are inscrutable in their loveliness and mischief. They never fail to lift my spirit from the darkest of that occasional emotional turbulence that each of us have to pass through from time to time. The innosence in their mischief, and that irresistably rascal mischief in their mirth are the shades of life which brings rapturous joys to the parents. In their laughter and their mischief, in the sparkle of their eyes and rankling sweet voice of their laughter are sown seeds of sense of accomplishment, the desire to be best in the world, the wilful readiness to sacrifice everything to keep that innocent face smiling and mischievous and to let that free spirit soar to the limitless sky. The magic and miracle happen with every step the children take. They are the apple of their parents and their loveliness pales all other beautiful things put together in the wide wide word.

To the children, parents are the whole world and to the parents, the whole world has come wrapped in a bundle in the shape of their children.

..................................

With age comes wisdom tinged with cynism and doubt. I ask my self whether with passage of time, will we continue to bask in the unconditional love we share now, will their spirit continue to soar on the wings of our hope, will their zeal continue to glaze with the power of our prayer.

Then my cynism self tells me, once I was also a darling of my parents and basked under their unconditional love. What are you to your parents now. What is your present equation with them. Dark clouds of doubt sets in.

My wisdom self comes to my rescue and in its soothing words whispers, " Enjoy your day while the sun shines, look at the clear blue sky and fill yourself with peace and immensity it bestows, not at the whip of dark cloud somewhere in the corner of far away sky. Once you were a child sporting as gaily as your children, and now you are a parent, proud and anxious as your parents were, and soon you will be a grand parent enjoying the evening of your life. Soon your children will will play their part as life metaphores from one role to another role."

"Ah ! yes ," I tell myself.

************************************

Musing of an aging parent. So says sulu to himself.

6 comments:

Rome Mele said...

Hi DS,
Just checked your comment and thought to check if you're blogging is back...and yes it is and on top of that there's this article" musings of a parent", on the similar lines that had always pervaded me.

Even I get this thought - the way we intend to enjoy while we are young, away from the troubles of the world, remain carefree - but all the way creating troubles, small n big alike. Parents find it distorting and on other hand we find it interesting, and seldom pay heed to them.

The other part of me, then asks, will I be responded back in the same way, as I do now? Quite significant doubt which seemingly is likely to happen for sure. But, will it change the way if I change it now, after having realized late? A definite 'NO' here.

When I look at the married people, who're grown up and living separately or even with their parents, their attitude changes toward their ageing parents, as they start taking over the helm of family affairs. Does this overtaking of the family affairs makes the parents lesser than they were? "NO"... but the attitudes cornered for them, as I could see in most of the families makes it quite probable.

Well, there are things that happens to others , which goes beyond our understanding. But, at least to the things that revolves around us, and upon which we certainly have understanding, can be changed the way we want. At least if we fulfill our part.

Maybe, there is bigger part in all these things.
There's a fine line of distinction with what happens as we grow old.

The difference being- the direction of the expectations.

We have in our stride to fulfill the expectations that others keep. And maybe the "enjoy the day while the sun shines" takes it course when its our time to expect, not the other way round.

Nice article.... Keep updating...
:)

dani sulu said...

Thanks RM. My quentessential wise uncle sent me this sms

LOGIC OF OUR BRAIN- We seek compromise when we are wrong, and we seek justice when others are wrong.

My fathers death last February has given me a new perspective to my life. Till the time of his death I took him for granted and seldom thought of how much I owe and how much sacrifice he made not only to make me what I am today, but also hiding all the expectation he had from me and how well he kept it a secret lest it hurts me. That was a supreme sacrifice, and I remained his child forever ... vein and selfish till his end. How I wish I could rewind the time and place whole world at his feet. But that is only lamentation..... if any of you have a living parent .. go out and express your love outright. Lest it is too late

taj said...

Hi Sullu,
...your piece made ponder beyond the horizon, it made me nostalgic. when someone so close to you express his true feelings, its bound to become your own .... keep it up... let it be my oasis, so that I could refresh my fatigued grey cells.

dani sulu said...

Hi Taj!

Thanks for the visit. Lets see if I can keep it up. I am trying to be brutally true to myself and discover my real self, howsoever ugly it is. This is one aspect of internal journey I started some years back. My desire to discover myself and subdue my unrully spirit has overtaken my youthfull desire to discover the world and subdue them. I am trying to see the world through the lens of self conquest. As I see it now, If I can conquer myself, whole world will fall in line as I will.
Keep visiting.

Bomken Basar said...

very nice one..It made me to THINK ...from a new father's view

dani sulu said...

Hi Bomken
Thanks for the visit. By the way, dont we know each other?